I know they don’t care about what I have to say about them, but I am watching. Amazon has completely changed E-Commerce in more than one way in retail – especially when it comes to building customer expectations and in delivery excellence. I really have no doubt that they can and will radically change the B2B market as well. A couple of things from watching them for quite some time now. They took the last 4 to 5 years to build the AmazonSupply.com story and management team – deriving from SmallParts, a company they acquired in 2005. This was a very patient and deliberate building of an organization – built on the backbone of a technology company that is excellent at supply chain management.
What is AmazonSupply doing?
The About Us page on the AmazonSupply.com describes exactly what they are trying to do
Welcome to AmazonSupply — the Store for Business & Industry. We aim to offer Earth’s largest selection of essential products for businesses, labs, workshops and factories.
Their site includes some key features including:
- Over 500,000 products and growing
- Free 2-Day shipping – you can expect the growth of same day shipping
- 365 day return policy
- Amazon.com corporate credit line
Why do we care?
- Obviously if you are in the industrial or office supply industries – this is a direct competitor
- Driving B2B best practices – in retail, many people point to Amazon to look for best practices. I expect that many best practices will also be built in B2B based on how Amazon delivers its experience. Take a look at this page on the left hand side for features they have already rolled out.
- Anyone can buy from this site. If you have an amazon account, you can buy from AmazonSupply.com. That is massive scale.
- The marketplace opportunity – once this is opened up a huge B2B exchange could develop that would connect buyers, wholesale, and sellers in a way never imagined.